Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Never let go of writing!"

My friend Joy told me that. I should have listened. When I don't write, I don't reflect, and I don't understand. I don't always write about what is at the top of the pile, but maybe I start there, and then start to dig, and dig a little deeper, and then find what it is that really needs the words.


Being a mid-range human (versus high-end human or shitty human, inversely correlated with socioeconomic status), I have access to a wide selection of temporary Swathis. I can get along with pretty much anybody for a short period of time. To pull this off, I reach into my costume box, which contains 4 languages, 2 accents of English, 2 nationalities, 2 hometowns, an appearance that ranges from casually boring to downright homeless, the pointy face of a 17-year-old, and the soul of a 70-year-old.

Then, all of this comes together and makes a weird mess. But it's a genuine mess, because I'm made of all genuine parts. I worry about appearing to be something I am not, when I am so many different things that just cannot surface all at once.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I need to talk with you about the blog. Some of it was too high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is always a communication to the purported many. Even if it is never intended to be read by anyone else, writing assumes that someone else MIGHT read it some time else. So, in writing the cream of one's thoughts tend to come to the keyboard, not all thoughts. That process of creaming one's own thought rarely occurs in other life situations.
    The thing is very similar to human behavioral contrast between when one is alone when all thoughts run free and amok and when one is in company of familiar people when thoughts run in streams aimed at each of the familiar either for their benefit or one's own, or the third contrast is when there is a mix of familiar and unfamiliar with whom one has to communicate simultaneously and it is then that NEARLY the real self of one comes out, not so much encumbered by inner impulses, taking-others-for-granted-ness, and phony-ness (unless one is politically steeped).

    So, writing generally helps develop an ability to look at oneself more objectively, that is until(usually, but not always)one becomes a writer for a living.Writing unfortunately narrows perspective( but increases depth by making the writer focus a lot more on the issue than s/he would in normal life ). That strength/weakness of the act of writing is ultimately good for the world because more often than not it has the ISSUE at its core than subjectivity.

    Writing, if not too noble in intention and effect at least, is like peeing in a public place; saves a few gallons of water each time to the thirsty world and at the same time relieves one of ones own inner pressures to excrete words.

    Swathi, your writing is refreshing, it looks like a bridge between reality and aspiration. Yes bridges are the only real necessities of all life.

    Note: It's hard to review my comment, I can't expand the comment window, I don't mind if a lot of typos remain in it or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viva Swati!

    ReplyDelete