Saturday, January 28, 2012

I have a home!

Yesterday at the office, Pablo asked me if I knew anyone in the area. I didn't. That little note wrote itself in my mind and grew to the size of a poster by this morning, when I finally burst into tears. Luckily, it was early in the night for mom and dad, and we talked on Skype for almost two hours. I ended the conversation reluctantly and passed a few more hours escaping reality under the covers, dreading the thought of having to venture out alone to see Isabel (Isa) and the apartment.

The Madrid Metro is really well-planned and clean, so I had worried for nothing. However, I tend to worry about the trivial stuff such as...will I look like a foreigner if I hover by the door too early before my stop? Well, my fears came true when I put the ticket in the wrong way multiple times on the bus and then wanted to hide under it...But that is entirely my problem.

In the mere two hours from when I left Plaza de Castilla (Erika's neighborhood), navigated the metro, and saw Isa's apartment, my outlook had made a 180 degree turn. The apartment is bright, beautiful, affordable, and well-connected to the metro and bus lines. Isa & her husband Gabriel (he is Congolese) were so welcoming and made me feel right at home. We talked for a long time (Isa speaks English/Spanish/French and Gabriel speaks French/Spanish) mostly in Spanish, and I felt very comfortable with them. I was worried that Isa & Gabriel would not want to deal with the number of visitors I am hoping/expecting to have over the next six months, but they immediately dismissed those concerns, volunteering their own room for my guests on days when they are not around. I feel so very lucky!

Isa and I then went for a walk so I could see the barrio (neighborhood). It is very close to a huge park where there is a beautiful view of Madrid. This barrio is called Tetuán; it is set away from the city center, quieter, and popular with university students. I think I will be very happy there. Pictures to follow very soon!

Side note: Erika and I went to the market last night to pick up some groceries. I saw an Indian woman and wanted to befriend her, but was too shy and settled for following her around until she left. Creepy and interesting of me to react that way, isn't it? I also stared intently at people on the metro, trying to decide if they were Spanish or not. It's difficult! I will creep around some more and report back with any telltale signs of foreigners.

7 comments:

  1. I was happy to read your blog. I can't wait to visit you there.I read the latest blog and then read the previous ones. I can tell you are ready to embrace Spain now.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up Swathi! I hear you about the wanting to cry bit when you realize you are in a place with no friends. It gets better! Be gentle with yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a home, that's amazing! They sound fantastic and like it'll really help you feel more at home there. I'm glad you've had some positive moments, and are still being creepy. Sending you hugs from Africa!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Krista & Shannon :-) Each day is having more positive moments, thankfully.

      Delete
  3. Awe, I love your blog too. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well so far. I can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to come! <3

      Delete