Monday, January 30, 2012

I survived

I'm stupid and forgot my camera cord.

I am in my new apartment now, ready to sleep before my first day at work. Erika and I took a taxi (for a mere 6.20 Euros) and Isa and Gabriel helped lug my 2.5 suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. It's a charming old building with no ascensor (elevator) and very stubborn doors, so I will be forced into a little daily exercise.


So these are from my cellphone
There were two very conflicting thoughts today: (1) I have my own space and can finally settle in, and (2) This is where I am for the next six months; I can't back out now. I howled unattractively at mother and father for 2 hours on Skype and calmed down. I also talked to Isa in the salón (living room); she hugged me and told me it was okay and that I was to flag her down if I need another hug/talk. I don't know how I keep coming across the most wonderful people who provide such strength and support after knowing me for a day. I hope there is an endless supply of them, and I hope I return the favor.

9 AM tomorrow I will be in the office at my first meeting with the staff. My Spanish has already improved after conversing with people over the weekend, so I hope I will be able to display at least an average IQ tomorrow at work.

...the above was written last night, and now it is 3 PM and I am back from my very relaxed and uneventful first day at work. I was given a temporary desk and computer until the desk in the Africa dept is free (one of our team is going into the field in a few days, I forget which country). The Spanish speaking was not great today, but I was able to follow along as Lourdes (HR person) filled me in at super-speed about EC. I asked Pablo to use English during our meeting about my responsibilities over the next six months...but I think they're not going to let me get away with English much longer! Isa already got scolded (albeit jokingly) by one of the women for speaking to me in English. I will write again soon with details about my job here.

5 comments:

  1. Its gorgeous!! so colorful; vibrant! Hope today is a great day!

    Love lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the piso! I hope this week goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say how much I laughed when I read you left your camera cord at home? Not because it's funny, but because it definitely sounds like something you would do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahaha..totally true. it's a new camera too! maybe i was overexcited. I'll still take pictures..I just can't upload for a couple of months..

      Delete