Monday, February 6, 2012

Meeting Madrid

Tabacalera. Not my picture, stolen from Google
Saturday, Isa introduced me to Madrid. It was bloody cold, but sunny. We took the Metro to El Centro, walked by the Palacio, a couple of gardens, a cathedral, a few plazas, and a market. We visited two museums. Tabacalera, which is an old tobacco factory turned into an amazing exhibit of alternative audio-visual art. It's a bit creepy because it's this huge airy dark maze, and in each passage there's some haunting video playing and the voices all echo at you. I want to go back, but not alone.

Then we saw Casa Encendida, a more typical museum of modern art. There was a huge line of people waiting for a Flamenco show for only 5 Euros! Unfortunately, they were sold out. Casa Encendida also offers inexpensive or free classes, and I have my eyes on one about black and white photography.

Then we went to Lavapiés, a more eclectic neighborhood with a big African, Indian, and Dominican population. We had a snack of crema de verdura (vegetable soup), with delicious bread, and Isa got a vino tinto and I had a clara con limón. We also went to a little university café in an architecturally fascinating building and I had a yummy white chocolate cake. I am going to LOVE eating out in Spain, just because 0.40 is considered a generous tip. I hate tipping in the US, because I don't really have a choice.

I took pictures, but cannot scatter them throughout my blog posts and make them pretty, because I don't have the camera cord, as mentioned previously. HOWEVER, MOM IS COMING! She will be visiting me for 2 weeks around Semana Santa in April. Besides the general awesomeness of this news, she can also bring me my camera cord. We will most likely be touring around Spain, Italy, and maybe France.

Sunday, I watched some Kannada movies, because I like how weird it feels to be doing that while sitting in Madrid. Did not get out of bed, except to eat and shower.

Also, I need to plan my meals better because I was so hungry when I got home that I ate all of my roommate's leftover pumpkin soup (I asked her as I put the spoon in my mouth, so she really had no choice) with a grilled cheese sandwich.

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your food options, and black and white photography class. I wish that you had a camera cord. I'm glad that you have now seen more of Madrid than 4 pigeons.

    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, ever since that conversation, I am constantly noticing the pigeons!

      Delete
  2. Your blog posts make me laugh out loud, thanks for that. And please send that cake my way, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that you're going to come join me for dessert, I will get you your own piece of cake <3

      Delete