Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hubcap(?)

So, that has happened to me quite a bit over the past month. Last Thursday, I decided to take control of my Spanish learning. I have decided to only speak Spanish at work, even though my Africa department colleagues and one intern friend all speak English. Frequently with these 4-5 people, I start a conversation in Spanish and when I get stuck or frustrated, I just switch to English. With colleagues who I haven't heard speaking English, I struggle and try and stumble until I have gotten the point across. Sometimes, I will explain in circuitous sentences for 5 minutes because I don't know one word.

I pity these people. One of these days, someone is just going to run away from me screaming.

On Friday, I attended a 4-hour course about the Spanish economy and crisis, and it was really interesting (it had to have been if I went on a Friday evening after work). The course took place in a library at a Spanish high school, which was really interesting for me to see. I was drinking coffee with Gabriel during the break, and a popular-looking girl shoved past me. Maybe I looked like I was a foreign student in need of bullying? Sorry, tangent.

Anyway, the course compared Spain's trajectory with that of Germany, because they're complete opposites right now. Last year, Germany had an unemployment rate around 7 or 8% and Spain around 20-22%! After the course, a group of 4-5 of us went to the restaurant across the way, and talked for a while. I met a Belgian woman who just returned from 3 months in India; she's a painter and a writer. She lives on a farm in Segovia, about an hour away, and has invited us to visit sometime.

Arr, matey! Sol gets very crowded on weekends.
Saturday, I slept in successfully, and then had lunch with Shannon's American friend Nate, who has lived in Spain for almost 3 years now. It felt good to spend two hours being sarcastic (Nate complained about how he can't communicate sarcasm in Spanish even after 3 years here, so maybe I will just have to succumb to my image of politeness). He showed me around Malasaña, which is a really cool neighborhood with lots of eateries and bookstores and pretty buildings.

Most important discovery: J & J's English-language (Used) Bookstore! I was perusing books when I had to pass by a man, and thought I would test the linguistic waters. I said "Excuse me," and he said "That's alright!"  The café upstairs was full of English-speakers: British, Australian, American, and more. Language brings these groups together. The owner smiled at me when I left and told me to come back soon. It'll be a nice English refuge, if I need it. After that, I walked around for almost 3 hours, exploring Malasaña, Sol, and Retiro (Madrid's Central Park).

And now...I am watching my Sunday slip out of my fingers!

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you found a cafe filled with English speakers! And please, don't get bullied -- I would not want to have to put you in my pocket to protect you.

    ReplyDelete