Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lazy Vegetarian in Spain

Anyone who has witnessed me surviving living independently at some point during the past 5.5 years knows that I am utterly incapable of eating properly for more than a day or two in a given week. Very occasionally, I have a burst of inspiration where I buy good groceries and cook up a delicious and nutritious storm, with leftovers. If we have ever shared a meal together, then you know that I eat as if I have never seen food before and as though I am never going to see food again.

The problem:
  • Time (Prep +Cook + Clean) = 1 hour
  • Time (Eat) = 7 minutes
And that's if I don't eat straight out of the frying pan.

I still have to play airplane to get myself to eat vegetables. And if you have ever tried to feed me broccoli, I probably dislike you a little bit, and always will.

Now, Spain is famous for its delicious food, but unfortunately, 90% of that deliciousness is found here:
15 new words I have to learn just to avoid ordering pig off the menu.
My saving grace right now is my love for good bread, eggs, cheese, and potatoes. I present to you bocadillo con tortilla espaƱola:

The only thing I order at traditional Spanish eateries.
It's pretty good, but very bland for taste buds that have grown up with South Indian and California Mexican food. I might start carrying around a bottle of Tabasco sauce in my purse, like Nong does.

Most people here react with disbelief, pity, or confusion when I say that I am a vegetarian. Friday, one waitress stared at me with grave concern before declaring, "Well, at least you like eggs."

I'm not exactly struggling to find food here, but being a lazy vegetarian in the United States (where there are Trader Joe's) is significantly easier. I really want to use my time in Madrid to get better at eating well at home so that I don't look like this in two years:

Prince Gerhardt on his 25th birthday
In the next installment of Lazy Vegetarian, I will take you grocery shopping in Madrid!

4 comments:

  1. When Gerhardt was born, the doctor told his mother and cousin that he would either live for 15 minutes or 100 years. Boy, he proved them all wrong.

    Your blog brings me so much joy. I loved tortillas espanola, though I tend to be a pretty bland eater. And I am so happy that you are enjoying the juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyebrow just fell off...

      I love that you get me, and that you enjoy these posts!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, love this post so much. Have you accidentally ordered a dish with meat in it but had to send it back? I will write about food in my blog too. Damn you are so inspirational.:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the odds that you posted this comment and then I go get an "ensalada" sandwich from the vending machine, which has a fishy surprise in it? Sigh, traumatic day for Lazy Vegetarian.

      Delete